Margot Kushel, MD (UCSF)
Professor of Medicine at the University of California San Francisco in the Division of General Internal Medicine at Zuckerberg San Francisco General Hospital
Margot Kushel, MD is a Professor of Medicine at the University of California San Francisco in the Division of General Internal Medicine at Zuckerberg San Francisco General Hospital. Margot’s research interests include the health and health care utilization of homeless adults, with a focus on older homeless adults. Her research, which seeks to inform clinical practice, program development, and policy, is informed by her 20 years of experience as a practicing internist at Zuckerberg San Francisco General Hospital. Dr. Kushel is the Director of the UCSF Primary Care Research Fellowship which trains Primary Care Physicians and recent PhDs in research of relevance to primary care. She maintains an active clinical practice at the Richard Fine People’s Clinic at Zuckerberg San Francisco General Hospital and attends on the inpatient medicine service. She speaks at a local, state and national level about issues of homelessness. She is active on twitter at @mkushel. Margot obtained her AB from Harvard, her MD from Yale and completed her residency and chief residency in Internal Medicine and her fellowship in General Internal Medicine at UCSF.
Dr. Kushel is the Principal Investigator of an R01 grant from the National Institutes on Aging to study the causes and consequences of geriatric conditions in older homeless adults, the co-Principal Investigator of a related R01 grant that examines the role of family in rehousing older adults who are homeless. Dr. Kushel holds a K24 mentoring grant from the NIA, which supports her work as a mentor for junior investigators.
- Kertesz SG, Baggett TP, O’Connell JJ, Buck DS, Kushel MB. Permanent Supportive Housing for Homeless People – Reframing the Debate. N Engl J Med. 2016 Dec; 375(22):2115-2117. PMID: 27959753. View in: PubMed
- Lee CM, Mangurian C, Tieu L, Ponath C, Guzman D, Kushel M, et al. Childhood Adversities Associated with Poor Adult Mental Health Outcomes in Older Homeless Adults: Results From the HOPE HOME Study. Am J Geriatr Psychiatry. 2016 Aug 17. PMID: 27544890. View in: PubMed
- Brown RT, Goodman L, Guzman D, Tieu L, Ponath C, Kushel MB. Pathways to Homelessness among Older Homeless Adults: Results from the HOPE HOME Study. PLoS One. 2016; 11(5):e0155065. PMID: 27163478. View in: PubMed
- Brown RT, Hemati K, Riley ED, Lee CT, Ponath C, Tieu L, Guzman D, Kushel M. Geriatric Conditions in a Population-Based Sample of Older Homeless Adults. Gerontologist. 2016 Feb 26. PMID: 26920935. View in: PubMed
- Lee CT, Guzman D, Ponath C, Tieu L, Riley E, Kushel M. Residential patterns in older homeless adults: Results of a cluster analysis. Soc Sci Med. 2016 Mar; 153:131-40. PMID: 26896877. View in: PubMed